5/17/2015

No Sharpies for you!

You sure know how to make me crabby, Arturo + Mayra! Writing on the century plants in the Oak Point parking lot to announce your relationship is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. As we used to say in Lincoln, Nebraska, "Fool's names and fool's faces are often seen in public places."

Sad to say Arturo y Mayra are practicing locally an offensive act of vandalism seen more and more often in our national parks. I sure hope the perpetrators were caught on the construction site security video. Among other things, Arturo should learn to spell his girlfriend's name so he doesn't have to make cross-outs and corrections. Note to Mayra, break up yesterday, girl!!!

vandal (n.) Look up vandal at Dictionary.com
1660s, "willful destroyer of what is beautiful or venerable," from Vandals, name of the Germanic tribe that sacked Rome in 455 under Genseric, from Latin Vandalus (plural Vandali), from the tribe's name for itself (Old English Wendlas), perhaps from Proto-Germanic *wandljaz "wanderer." The literal historical sense in English is recorded from 1550s.

On a happier note, bees are wallowing in pollen in the nearby prickly pear blooms. The recent rains have made many new ponds and lakes visible from the streets.


Pollen wallowing!
 

Spider buddy beats hasty retreat

Red admiral on basket flower with firewheel behind
 © 2014-2015 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Debra said...

People have been carving names and initials into the sycamores at my local park. It makes me so angry. Bark is a tree's skin. What a great way to invite infection. Plus they have no carving skill -- it always looks like crap. I hate to think what I'd do if I ever saw someone in action. Yeah. It makes me THAT mad. haha

Collagemama said...

Yeah, THAT mad! It looks to me like the Sharpie ink sunburns the leaves. Can't they just post something online???