10/01/2014

Bob Wire

Barbed wire is on my mind in that rusty sentimental end-of-the-frontier kind of way that creeps up on me most often in the fall. Brought home Larry McMurtry's new novel from the library because it has my favorite Frederic Remington painting on the cover. The book reviews are not all giddy-up, but I could look at "The Fall of the Cowboy" for hours at the Amon Carter Museum in Ft. Worth.


On a more down to earth level, I tripped on a length of barbed wire on the Caddo Trail Monday, where it had pulled up out of the ground. I marked the snag with a little flag so it would be visible. Happy to report the Mower Lady has removed the barbed wire. And I had a good reminder to watch where I walk. That was useful today when I stopped by a tree to photograph a butterfly, saw a squirrel, heard a rustle, and watched some sort of black snack slide away behind the tree. Then I noticed a five-lined skink on the same trunk. Quite a lot of action for one tree!

All photos taken at Oak Point Nature Preserve, with the wire snag and the skink at the bottom. Oh, and yes, I did think it was "bob wire" for most of my childhood.

Oct. 1, 2014 Willow Springs Trail
Jan. 13, 2012
 
March 1, 2014
Sept. 7, 2011

Wire after rain, not barbed, August 28, 2012

Nov. 16, 2011 Willow Springs Trail snail


 Both Caddo Trail near Sycamore Pass, Sept. 29, 2014.

Five-lined skink, Rowlett Creek Trail, Oct. 1, 2014



No comments: