1/07/2019

Pretty gorgeous for January

High of seventy-four degrees and just a pleasant breeze this afternoon. Kids were flying kites at Plano's Arbor Hills nature preserve on the west side of town. My two attempts to walk at Oak Point in the new year have been derailed by water flowing across the pavement, and mud everywhere. I'm glad for the sogginess after years of drought, but wishing for better footing and a long quiet walk.

Arbor Hills has a 3.3 mile paved loop trail, and it was well-used today. Kids had their last day of winter break while teachers returned to work for professional development. Parents had reached their limit after two long weeks with no school and were leading forced marches with zero screens or devices. Or maybe I'm just remembering generations of parents with cooped-up, bickering children. Dickens never wrote the ghosts of Christmas breaks past, present, and future, but he should have!



On my break I read Ben Goldfarb's Eager: the Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers. Now I wonder how the undercut creek banks would be different with more of those amazing mammals around.



© 2014-2019 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: