10/13/2019

Measure of a successful walk

Break out the field guides! Haul out the old big red dictionary! Search my photo files and check the nature websites!  A great walk's been had, and some of my photos turned out. Now the memory jogging begins. (Too bad memory jogging doesn't count as steps toward my employee wellness program).

Although today's walk was at the Heard Nature Sanctuary north of Plano in McKinney, the measure of success is the same for a walk at Oak Point Nature Park.




Pipevine swallowtails have the stunning irridescent blue lower wings, but fewer spots and less orange than other swallowtails.




Eryngo
Every year I have to look for the name these pretty purple pineapple-shaped wildflowers.
The concern with my favorite Gulf Fritillairy is spelling. One t. Two ls.


This was a new sight for me. Grapy berries or berriysh grapes growing on a shrubby vine near the boardwalk with poison-maybe leaves. Behold, beware! Beautiful colors in the fall sunshine. From internet sources I'm thinking these are members of the grapevine family, Vitaceae (Vitidacaae), called Peppervine or buckvine, Ampelopsis arborea, or even "cow-itch."

You might be able to make jam or wine according to one foraging site or hand-pull to remove as a pest plant. How did our ancestors survive without Google's contradictory guidance?
One final lap of memory jogging to log due to the very low water in the seasonal wetland slough. Although dragonflies were busy, the dry months have turned the wetland into a naked lake. Fascinating, but unnerving, it reminded me of watching my Grandma put on her corset and roll up her support stockings when I was a little kid.

"Slough" has given me trouble since way back reading By The Shores of Silver Lake in fifth grade. "Slough" can rhyme with stew or cow but not with fluff unless you are discussing shedding skin like a snake.

Being able to visit a place around the seasons, through different times of day and light, wind, and weather is a gift. It is also a challenge to stay observant and curious. Thanks to those who have given me memberships to the Heard.

© 2014-2019 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: