10/18/2015

Hiding in plain sight


I love these little butterflies! They are some of the first in the spring, are plentiful in the meadow all summer, and perfectly dressed for Halloween parties. I am pretty sure they are the common Pearly Crescentspot, but years ago I dubbed them Tiffany Butterflies because they remind me of Tiffany lamps. I must have been reading Susan Vreeland's Clara and Mr. Tiffany at the time. If I hadn't seen this one landing on the copper leaves I never would have spotted it.


Oak Point Oct. 29, 2014
The photos below were the first I took of a very cooperative "Tiffany Butterfly" at Oak Point, April 5, 2011.










© 2014-2015 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Debra said...

Beautiful images. I love their big fuzzy faces.

Collagemama said...

Thanks, Debra. They have cute noses, too.